Re: [BKARTS] photo resolution

Raven
    I'm glad your query sparked this conversation. I'm learning a lot.
However, from a publishing point of view, I think you're putting the
cart way before the horse. It is customary with nonfiction to send a
proposal rather than the completed manuscript. What you are presenting
initially is your concept of the book- what it's about, why it will
sell, and why you are the person to write it. The production details
come much later and involve the art department. At this point the
decisions are being made by the editors. If you want to have your photos
in the book, you can include samples but the details don't matter- only
that they look good and support the idea/ text.
    I've had two books published by Scholastic Professional Books with a
third due out in January. I've also done a lot of reading and research
on this topic. Here are some books that might be helpful to you. The
more research you do about the publishing world up front, the better off
you'll be. It's been a long road for me.

Nonfiction Book Proposals Anybody Can Write: How to Get a Contract and
an Advance Before Writing Your Book, Elizabeth Lyon, Hillsboro, Oregon,
Blue Heron Publishing, Inc., 1995
very thorough plan for writing a proposal

How to Get Happily Published, Judith Appelbaum, NY, Harper & Row
describes what to do to get published and what to do after to be happy
about it, not always a given
Thinking Like Your Editor: How to Write Serious Nonfiction--and Get It
Published, Susan Rabiner and Alfred Fortunato, New York: W.W. Norton &
Company, 2002
I'm just reading this now and learning a lot. Its target audience is
academics and people who want to write informed books with a broader
appeal than university presses, but it's well written and has a lot of
good insights into the publishing process.

in good spirit
Susan

--
Susan Kapuscinski Gaylord