[BKARTS] Inspiration

Susan-
Would like to meet you but will be on my way to Deer Isle, Maine. It will be
my tenth year at Haystack, where I was first introduced to magical artist
books, and subsequently
my life transformed.

Paradise is that place on the edge of the map. Stepped into the landscape.
Each window a rumba of fog and fir.  Puzzle pieces of morning sky shimmer
between the spaces where tall spruces doe-si-doe.  Squawking jays and
seagulls trumpet the day.

My first year, it was making art just to please me. The following year it was
the realization that I wanted more creative people in my life. Then I decided
there should be a place in my small New York apartment just for making books,
sold my dining room table and set a slab of glass on my grandfather's Singer
sewing machine base. It went on from there in more ways than I could ever
have imagined.

Inspiration comes from having the time, place and opportunity to concentrate
solely on creative process, the continued connection with people I meet, the
quiet to hear the music in my mind that sets my dancers dancing.

For the first time at Haystack, I will be taking a workshop in something
other than books, the Narrative Clay class with SunKoo Yuh. I will be a
beginner again, which is good for building character! Oliver Wendell Homes
said,“ A mind that is stretched to a new idea never returns to its original
dimension.”

The New York Center for Book Arts Member's Exhibition will certainly be worth
seeing.
Enjoy!
Alice
<apeachW96@aol.com>