Re: [BKARTS] A better way to punch holes

I have never seen a rotating punch and die used. The standard paper drill uses
a rotating tube of steel which is sharpened on the bottom end. As it rotates,
the paper chips flow up through the tube and are discharged out the side of
the tube. If you are a machinist you can easily make one and use it in a drill
press, with some end grain wood against which the drill rotates as it cuts
through the last sheet of paper in the stack.
    Let me know if you want to know how to make a paper drill bit.
Rupert

http://www.philobiblon.com"              <BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU> =====

> [...]
>only last one or two punches into the anvil. A paper drill works great
>but the fancy modern ones are kind of expensive. My favorites are the
>truly hand operated kind you spin between your hands; they ought to be
>cheap, but I've never, ever seen them for sale - anyone know where to
>get them?
>
>Of course, if someone wanted to they could make a multi-headed
>punch-and-die style hand paper punch, but it'd have to have two rotating
>heads (one for punch and one for die), and it would surely be far too
>expensive for its very very small market.
>
>RCB
>

>Ruth Temple wrote:

>>           CENTRAL NEW YORK BOOK ARTS: TRADITIONAL TO INNOVATIVE
>>            See The Exhibition Online, And Order Your Catalog.
>>                       <http://www.philobiblon.com>
>>
>> Some of the problem with using a leather punch on paper is that the
>> punch-heads just are not sharp enough to make it through paper!
>> There is a Japanese twist-drill with hollow core bits, made for  the
>> book trade, but it's expensive - around $65-75, depending on what you
>> find for shipping cost.  The precision and sharpness of the tool, plus
>> the several bits in varying sizes, make it worth the money.
>> Having a sharp enough tool makes the job slick and easy...and quick!
>>
>> But I don't know of any ratchet-style squeeze handle punches for paper.
>> best luck!
>> Ruth
>>
>> Sally Canzoneri wrote:
>>

>>>             ***********************************************
>>>          CENTRAL NEW YORK BOOK ARTS: TRADITIONAL TO INNOVATIVE
>>>           See The Exhibition Online, And Order Your Catalog.
>>>                      <http://www.philobiblon.com>
>>>             ***********************************************
>>>
>>>I was doing books with a stick binding with a class of elementary school
>>>children this week and had to make a lot of holes pretty quickly.  I used a
>>>leather punch type hole punch (the kind with the revolving head to make
>>>various sizes of hole) that I'd gotten at a hardware store.  The punch
didn't
>>>make holes quickly or easily.  This left me with restless kids and a sore
>>>hand.
>>>
>>>It may be that I have a poor quality punch, but I think the problem is in
the
>>>design. I was using a ratchet type garden clipper for the sticks and it was
>>>great.  It seems to me that somebody must have thought of using the same
>>>technology to make a hand held hole punch work better. Does anyone know if
>>>am right?  And, if so, where I could get such a punch?
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>
>>>Sally Canzoneri

>>>            resources and links go to the Book_Arts-L FAQ at:
>>>                      <http://www.philobiblon.com>
>>>
>>>        Archive maintained and suppported by Conservation OnLine
>>>                    <http://palimpsest.stanford.edu>
>>             resources and links go to the Book_Arts-L FAQ at:
>>                       <http://www.philobiblon.com>
>>
>>         Archive maintained and suppported by Conservation OnLine

Rupert N. Evans
501-391 S LaPosada Circle
Green Valley, AZ 85614
520-648-8365