Re: [BKARTS] Paper Drill -- another idea

In a message dated 5/27/02 11:43:07 AM, JTIMM@AOL.COM writes:

<< Holes may not be as clean, but you can use a power drill. Press the paper
tight as possible between two pieces of heavy board or wood and drill gently
and slowly with a sharp bit.

A Twist Drill (standard drill bit) will drill a hole but, as suggested by
others, the hole will not be clean.
We had a project where we needed a lot of very small, clean holes in Mylar
for a special binding. I believe the smallest paper drill is 1/8" (.125")
which was too large. We used some Stainless Steel Micro Tubing (similar to
hypodermic needles), found in McMaster-Carr Industrial Supply (Cat #8987K41
-- see www.mcmaster.com). We used the 13 gauge size (.095") in 12 inch
lengths. We cut the lengths to one inch long pieces using a Dremel with a
cutting wheel. The burr was removed and the end was honed and polished. This
special bit was used in a standard electric and a jig was used. It was very
successful. Unfortunately, after some use, the bit became clogged and was
discarded rather than spending the time to try to clean it.

An added note: Some years ago, before I could afford a real "Challenge" Paper
Drill, I modified a standard paper drill bit for use in my electric drill. It
took a little longer but got the job done, despite the fact that I had to
clean out the confetti every once in a while.

Bill Minter

4364 Woodbury Pike
Woodbury, PA   16695
814-793-4020