Re: [BKARTS] leather storage

*****Please excuse the cross-posting*****

Dear Dave,

Some tips to help maintain stored leather in good condition:

- The best way to store leather is in rolls wrapped in *brown paper.
(*parcel paper or kraft paper is very suitable).

- For flat skins such as calf, skiver and some of the flatter goats it is
wise to roll the skins on a cardboard tube to prevent the grain being
'crushed'.  Natural grained goatskins and other leathers that would not
normally have a tendency to lie flat on a table are rolled into themselves
without a tube.

- Do not put more than 12 skins in one roll.

- Ideally the skins should be rolled from the 'neck' with the grain side on
the outside.  (It is easier to roll this way)

- It is good practice to ensure that the bottom skin of a pile of for
example 12 skins, would be placed grain up with the remaining 11 skins
placed grain down on top.  At this stage the 'neck' of the skins is close to
you.  You roll the 11 skins which are grain side down about a third of the
way, then drag the part roll towards you to pick up the bottom 12th skin.
This will ensure that when you re-open the roll at a later date, the bottom
skin will still be on the bottom.  This is especially important if the roll
is accidentally opened onto a dirty surface.

I hope that this advice is of some help, but if required, please do not
hesitate to seek clarification.

best wishes,

David

David Lanning