Re: [BKARTS] BOOK_ARTS-L Digest - 28 Jun 2002 to 29 Jun 2002 (#2002-178)

Gary,

Perhaps you have had a reply to your query off-list?  However, you may like to
look in the archives round 20-22 Jan 2002 for some comment on edge gilding.
There have been some other messages at earlier dates.

I have looked through my notes from John Mitchell's course on gilding here in
the UK and also in his excellent, very detailed book with drawings and
photographs, "An Introduction to Gold Finishing", The Standing Press, 1995,
which was available in hardback and softback.

I am not sure why you would want to try and place two leaves on top of one
another on the gold pad - it is awkward enough putting one down and ensuring it
is unwrinkled, etc.  The easier method is to lay the first leaf on the leather
(or book edge for that matter) and then if it appears necessary to put another
layer to breathe gently on the first layer and immediately lay a further leaf
on top, then complete the tooling.  This is more likely with single gold as the
leaf may easily split or have slight breaks.

It is possible to get double gold leaf i.e. thicker than single gold, which
should give a good finish without having necessarily to add another layer.

Rodney Fry
Crowthorne,
Berks, UK