Re: [BKARTS] Protecting papel amate

Picky point, but here goes:  I've never heard amate termed "paper," for

the latter material involves the intermingling of cellulose fibers
while suspended in water.  Amate, as I understand it, is merely bark
beaten senseless.
TT

>>> siegel@CAFECANCUN.COM 07/05/02 06:56AM >>>
I am planning to bind some books in papel amate, a traditional Mexican
paper
made from fig bark that is very porous. I want to size it or coat it to
make
it resist handling better. I've used clear matte acrylic for this, but
I am
not sure about its archival properties, and will appreciate any
advice.

--
JULES SIEGEL Apdo. 1764, 77501 Cancun Q. Roo Mexico
http://www.cafecancun.com

For free and ample discussion of issues in the news subscribe to
Newsroom-L