[BKARTS] Amate Paper

Dear Friends
    There are a few places online where you can get some information
about amate paper is made. It isn't technically paper in that it is made
from beaten fibers rather than pulp.

This is a site featuring the work of Humberto Trejo with photographs of
his work and the process of making the paper.
http://www.mexicanfolkart.com/amates_humberto.html

There is written information here about the process of making the paper
http://home.earthlink.net/~kering/amate.html

    An interesting book about its history is a Dover reprint of a 1944
book.
The Aztec and Maya Papermakers, Victor Wolfgang von Hagen, New York:
Dover Publications, Inc., 1999

    I use it a lot in my work. I've sometimes glued to pieces together
to make a heavier cover with PVA and that changes the feel of the paper
somewhat and makes it much stronger. I will also often put a piece of a
stronger paper in between the two layers to reinforce the fold. There
are some examples of the books (1-4) at
http://www.bookarts.com/gallery/gaylord.htm.

in good spirit
Susan