Re: [BKARTS] Wheat paste & mould

Mold spores are around us all the time, and they will get into
paste containers.

In years past I would pour a fresh batch of paste out into a bowl
and when it cooled, I'd remove the film.

Nowadays, I wash a glass container with soap and bleach, rinse well
and fill it half-full with cold tap water.

Then I cook the wheat starch paste in a stainless steel double boiler
and pour the paste into the glass container and put the lid on.

In summer it keeps for a couple of weeks; in winter it will keep for
a month or more.

Re: Japanese 10 yr. old paste.  I have a couple of Gerber baby food
jars with cooked wheat starch paste in.  Since the late 1980's.

No mold yet, and they have not been frozen; they sit on the shelf next
to my bench.  I look at them every now and again and think about what
I've read about 10 yr. old paste....

Jack

Thompson Conservation Lab.
7549 N. Fenwick