[BKARTS] Another Handmade 3-Ring Binder question

Hi everyone,
I will also be making a few of these for customers and I was wondering if anyone has had any luck "boxing in" the base which holds the rings so that only the rings show, not the metal base? I haven't had time to experiment yet with it but I envisioned making a a board box with slots for the rings using a single leather piece to be the two "end papers" as well as the covering for the box. Has anyone attempted this?
Dave

David Allen
840 Snowdrop Avenue
Victoria, British Columbia