[BKARTS] Fall calendar for San San Francisco Center for the Book now on-line

The calendar for September-December classes at the San Francisco
Center for the Book is now available on the Center's web site at
http://www.sfcb.org/php/calendar.php3. Registration begins Monday
August 5th at noon via phone (415-565-0545) and fax (415-565-0556).

Highlights include:

Lots of long-running classes: These have proven a hit with students
who want to work in depth, improve skills, concentrate on a
particular project or produce a body of work. Our artist's book
workshop is moving into its second year, complemented by some
fascinating, related classes that run from three to eight weeks.
There's an illustrated lecture series, taking a historical look at
the artist's-book genre. There's an extended workshop that turns a
neighborhood walk into a springboard for an exploration of self,
environment and the book format. There's a rigorous class focusing on
an often-neglected component of the artist's book - the written word.
And for devotees of letterforms, Sherrie Lovler returns with an
eight-week course on Calligraphy for Book Arts.

Classes that run the gamut from venerable structures to cutting-edge
techniques: Nicholas Yeager and Tom Conroy are presenting a workshop
devoted to three 15th century books. At the other end of the
spectrum, Brian Allen is teaching a class on digital typography and
Jennifer Magee is exploring experimental image techniques on the
Vandercook.

Old favorites: Several of our all-time popular classes are on the
calendar again, including two encaustic workshops with Cynthia
Winika, How to Bind Five Eggs with Kumi Korf, two sessions of
Introduction to Boxmaking with Kris Langan, and two album classes
with Sabina Nies.

A solid letterpress curriculum: Now it's easier to figure out which
letterpress classes are a good match for your needs and skills. We've
revamped our growing letterpress program into a formal curriculum,
creating a logical succession of classes that will get you qualified
to print on your own. Plus, we've made some terrific additions.

Expanded craft binding courses: You'll find a half-dozen new
offerings on materials, techniques and structures that fit between
our introductory and intermediate bookbinding line-up.  Still more
good news: boxmaker and edition binder John DeMerritt returns as a
teacher. And Laura Wait visits in November for a Hand Bookbinders of
California workshop on The Simplified Binding.

Classes using computers: Book arts meets computers in three new
classes that we're offering at Zeum's fabulous media lab.

It's not too late for summertime fun and learning! We still have
openings for some August classes. Check out the calendar for
availability here:
http://www.sfcb.org/php/calendar.php3?month=7&year=2002