Re: [BKARTS] COLLABORATION?

>Is the resulting object considered a collaboration?
>Can the binder sell the book as their own?
>What sort of arrangement is made between the
>"sheetmaker", (not as pleasant as bookworks, is it, Jules?)
>and the binder?

Continuing this dialogue about books in sheets, it seems a bit of a stretch
to me to consider an arrangement like this a collaboration. When someone
buys a book in sheets, it's pretty much out of the printer's hands at that
point. In our case, though we've sold many Red Wagon books in sheets, we've
never seen the finished products. Only exception was a binding of "Woods
Story" by Gabrielle Fox, which appeared in her instructional book of a
couple years ago. In that case, we at least got to see a printed photograph.

Collaboration, I think, implies more of a cooperative effort between
craftspeople from the very start of a project. If we were to arrange for a
few special bindings, for instance, this would most likely be considered
ahead of time and we would probably have that information in the book's
colophon.

Yes, the binder can sell the book as their own; it's their binding. The
printer received his share when he sold the sheets to the binder, and the
printer's credits are in the colophon.

John Cutrone
Red Wagon Bookworks
http://www.redwagonbookworks.com