Re: [BKARTS] dies

On platen presses, a metal sheet replaces the tympan and the die cuts and
creases the paper. Cost of a die can run to a hundred dollars easily, but
simple dies can be made at home at low cost.
Rupert

http://www.philobiblon.com"              <BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU> =====
>Don't know about laser cutting, other than Eleanor Ramsey used it on a set
>of boards for a fantastic binding she did a few years back.
>
>Dies aren't cheap (I think about $5") but allow you to do many things. At
>Gaylord we used them to cut out the blanks for all the boxes they make.
>I've also seen people use them with flatbed presses. Perhaps someone else
>has the details, but my recollection was that they were mounted on the bed
>of the press, and a rubber mat was attached to the big roller. With the
>right amount of pressure they will easily cut through a sheet of paper, and
>possibly even folder stock. An added advantage is that not only can they
>cut, but they can also crease in the same operation. Just different metal
>pieces for that part.
>
>p.
>
>>Does anyone know about those lovely,
>>intricate laser cut products?
>>
>>Patrice Baldwin
>

>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>Philobiblon: Book Arts, Different By Design
>Hand Binding, Conservation, and Project Websites
>Peter D. Verheyen
><mailto:verheyen@philobiblon.com>
><http://www.philobiblon.com/philobiblon>

Rupert N. Evans
Summer: 101 W Windsor Rd. #4107, Urbana, IL 61802-6697
217-337-7833
Winter: 501-391 S LaPosada Circle, Green Valley, AZ 85614
520-648-8365
Author of Book-On-Demand Publishing
I love to print and bind books