[BKARTS] red rot

I am new to this listserv, so please pardon me if I am beating a dead horse.
I have lots of books in my archives room that have red rot and I would like
to be able to do something to keep them from turning to powder. On most of
them, the pages are intact and in good shape considering their age, but the
leather covers are not. We are not interested in microfilming or digitizing
the material. Do products like Cellugel really work without damaging the
paper or leather? I have also been told it is possible to create a sort of
dust jacket out of mylar, kind of like what we all had for our school books
years ago. I cannot seem to find a pattern for doing that though and I also
don't know how to attach it to the book itself without glue.  I try to limit
the application of glue on anything going into the archives. I have already
put some of them into book boxes or clamshell boxes, but my space for
stacking items like this is very limited.  Our collection is used very
little, but I still want to keep these materials intact as long as I can.
Anyone have any ideas?

Barbara M. Pope, MLS
Reference Librarian
St. Louis College of Pharmacy