Re: [BKARTS] red rot

Caused by the dehydrating (shrinking) effect of the alcohol perhaps? It's
also problematic for leathers like sheep (esp) where you can have large
pieces breaking off of the surface. The Klucel, especially if applied too
thickly, creates a film on the surface which may then pull off larger
pieces than might flake off otherwise. As with all the tools at our
disposal, we need to understand how they work and the effect they have on
the materials. One size does not always fit all.

p.

At 07:14 PM 7/25/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>I have found that while klucel-g and isopropanol seems to work wonders for
>last stage red rot, in my experiece,over time it has been shown to cause
>fractures and "cupping" of the grain layer fracture pieces.  So there is a
>balance of short term effect vs. long term damage that needs to be
>considered.  But it sure is tempting.
>
>Bruce Levy

Peter D. Verheyen
<mailto:verheyen@philobiblon.com>