Re: [BKARTS] what the heck is an altered book?

Hi Bruce,

I am in the Altered Books Yahoo group, and although I am a newbie, I
can probably answer your question.  Old books, found at yard sales, in
your attic, library discards, Goodwill finds, etc. are worked in with
mult-media materials to produce a unique, one-of-a-kind work of art.

The original text is usually obscured by having been painted over, or
collaged over.  Sometimes words or phrases may be purposely highlighted
by painting around them and creating a sort of found poetry (see Tom
Phillips  "Humument"  http://www.humument.com/index2.html ).  Pages may
be folded, torn, removed, glued together, cut into, sewn, or otherwise
manipulated.  Whole text blocks may be glued together and then have the
inside cut away to make a niche to put things into. In short, anything
goes.

Excellent example and description of process:
http://karenswhimsy.com/alteredbooks/art/
Beth Cote's wonderful work:  http://www.alteredbook.com/alteredbooks.htm
A slide show of a members work here:
http://community.webshots.com/photo/44086454/44086815ofWPDU

Hope this gives you a good idea of what we are up to.  I'm sure it
gives librarians the willies!

Christine