Re: [BKARTS] what the heck is an altered book?

Oh wow, something I can actually contribute! And thanks everyone, by the
way, for the information on book repair.

I think of altered books as sculptural works of art that use books as
the medium. The Bruce Peel Special Collection at the University of
Alberta has an excellent collection if you are in this neighbourhood.

One such piece started out as a Joanna Drucker book on altered books.
The artist then scooped out a bowl shape right in the middle of the
front cover down through the thickness of the book, rendering in
effectively unreadable -- a book turned into an example of its own
subject matter.

Another such work was a book the artist soaked in sea water for some
period of time, encrusting it with barnacles and the like.

Another one took a Shakespeare volume and selectively trimmed away paper
so that the only words visible formed an entirely new poetic statement.
The argument here is that the new work was simply drawn out of
Shakespeare, like a sculptor who simply carves the parts of a stone that
don't belong the sculpture already there in the rock.

It's all a very fascinating area, especially, I think, for those people
on this list whose profession is to preserve books, not 'vandalize'
them. It's little off-topic, but I'd be happy to comment more if people
are interested.

Thanks again, everyone!

Winston

On Tuesday, October 1, 2002, at 02:36  PM, Bruce Graham wrote:

> What the heck is an "altered book"?

---

Winston Pei, BA, MGDC

Black Riders Design