Re: [BKARTS] Printing on covers-Common cotton cloth

INKJET PRINTING ON CLOTH
I am also experimenting with printing on cloth with an inkjet printer.

ACRYLIC COATED BOOK CLOTH DOESN'T WORK
I made another post about Linenset which has an acrylic coating. After more
trials, I noticed that water based inkjet ink beads up slightly. Maybe it
works with dye based ink.

STARCH BASED BOOK CLOTH
Linenset is starch coated on the reverse side. I did a test print on this
side. Much better than the acrylic side but much more fuzzy than printing on
common cotton cloth.

COMMON COTTON CLOTH
I rubbed a bit of the starch and acrylic coating off the Linenset cloth. The
cloth appears to be super open weave. It is about 60 treads per inch but not
packed tightly at all, more like mesh. In my latest test I glued ordinary
thin cotton cloth like that used on shirts and sheets to paper then ran it
through the inkjet printer. I measured the cloth to be 90 threads per inch
tightly packed. I was amazed. The printing comes out better than when using
paper. The ink quickly soaks into the uncoated cloth fibers. Looking at it
under a powerful magnifying glass I see that the ink is selectively being
placed on parts of the individual cloth threads. The colors are dark and
bright.

MAKING BOOK CLOTH
I read some archived messages about making your own book cloth. I am
thinking now that with inkjet printing it might be best to reverse all the
steps in making book cloth and printing. As I am experimenting with making
cloth softcover bindings I would first glue cloth to 0.010 inch thick card
stock. Next print the cloth. Then add the starch or other sizing to make the
book cloth. Finally clear coat the entire cloth with printing. I read that
historically book binders made their own book cloth anyway. But to make
books in even semi production quantities like I want to do, all the steps in
printing and making the book cloth would ideally be fast and not water based
or fast drying. Any ideas? Is anyone doing anything like this at the moment?
Thanks in advance for any information.

Ben Wiens...applied energy scientist
Ben Wiens Energy Science Inc.
8-1200 Brunette Ave. Coquitlam BC Canada V3K1G3
E-mail: ben@benwiens.com
Energy Website: http://www.benwiens.com
Read my popular web-booklet "The Future of Fuel Cells"