Re: [BKARTS] Los Angeles Book Arts Center

Katie:

I know how it is when you try to start up a new movement. Our Central Coast
Book Arts Group celebrated its first year recently, and we're making plans
for bigger and grander projects now that we've established a good base of
"regulars."
We're also hoping to interact with the new LA Book Arts Center.

I hope your Cincinnati book people will come on over to the Miniature Book
Society's Book Fair on Sunday Oct. 13th at the Radisson Hotel in Covington.
There will be lots of BIG book people there, not just tiny 3" folks. ;-)
See http://www.mbs.org for details.

Patrice Baldwin

At 06:10 PM 10/04/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>Lisa
>
>Congratulations on your great start for the LA Book Arts Center! I'm very
>impressed (and not a little jealous!) that you have been able to accomplish
>so much so quickly. Can you tell me how you did it? As you know, I have been
>working for over a year now to try to get something going here in
>Cincinnati, but it's been a very difficult row to how. The response to the
>idea of a book arts center has been enthusiastic, but after awhile it became
>clear that there were precious few people willing to put in the energy,
>time, money, dedication, commitment and effort to get it going. I personally
>spent so much money that I had to drop out of the effort for awhile to focus
>on my letterpress business, and I was surprised and dismayed that the air
>seemed to go out of things so quickly as a result. Is it just living in a
>larger city, I wonder, so that you have a larger pool of like minded
>individuals on whom you can rely? Do you have a space already?
>

>Katie Harper
>Ars Brevis Press
>Cincinnati, OH
>513-233-9588
>http://www.arsbrevispress.com
>

>> From: Lisa Deutsch <Lagourmet@AOL.COM>
>> Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 16:01:51 EDT
>> To: BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
>> Subject: Los Angeles Book Arts Center
>>
>> Greetings:
>>
>> Thank you to everyone for your help and support with the start up of the
Los
>> Angeles Book Arts Center.  We are thrilled that things have moved
forward so
>> well and so quickly.
>>
>> This is just a note to let everyone know that the opening of our Inaugural
>> Book Arts Show will be this Saturday, October 5, 2002, at the Christine
>> Willis Gallery and will run from 12:00 PM until 5:00 PM.  The gallery is
>> located at 1740 Ocean Park Blvd. in Santa Monica.  We would love to see
>> everyone there and hope you will enjoy the amazing collection of book
art on
>> display.
>>
>> Also the Los Angeles Times has written an article on the new center that
will
>> be published in Monday's Los Angeles Times.  Time magazine is also
working on
>> an article about book arts across the nation which they will be
publishing in
>> the next few weeks. We look forward to getting the word out and letting
>> everyone know about this unique art form that has captured our hearts and
>> imagination.
>>
>> Thank you again for your support and encouragement.
>>
>> Lisa Deutsch
>> President
>> Los Angeles Book Arts Center
>> 8642 Gregory Way
>> Suite 301
>> Los Angeles, CA 90035
>> (310) 657-2616
>> www.LABookArts.com

>> resources and links go to the Book_Arts-L FAQ at:
>> <http://www.philobiblon.com>
>>
>> Archive maintained and suppported by Conservation OnLine
>> <http://palimpsest.stanford.edu>

"I hear and I forget.
I see and I remember.
I do and I understand."