Re: [BKARTS] ISBN number & copyright question

You don't ever have to get an ISBN number, but you're doing your press and the
author and the book a favor by doing it.  You have to contact Bowker because the
control the ISBN numbers and it will cost you a fee to  get set up.  Then you're
assigned a small group of numbers, and when you've used those, you can get more.
As far as the epigram goes, strictly speaking, it's polite to get permission whenever
you quote someone else's work, although many don't for one sentence.  I vote for
getting permission; it shows respect for words someone else crafted, and gives that
author a bit of a plug.  Some times it takes a bit of doing, tracking down the
permissions dept. of the big houses, but it'sdefinitely worth doing ( I speak from the
vantage point of both writer and publisher, by the way).
Bertha Rogers
Bright Hill Press