[BKARTS] ISBN, CIP & bar code

For those who don't know, ISBN means 'International Standard Book
Number' CIP means 'Cataloging in Progress' (a Library of Congress
numbering system, distinct from the Dewey Catalog number) and
neither of these are needed if a library wishes to have your book
on their shelves.
(ISSN means 'International Standard Serial Number' and is used to
describe magazines, newsletters, etc.)

Bar code is that splash of thin and thick lines on the back cover
of books one purchases, or canned milk, or bread, or most anything
which is sold these days, and is read by a scanner.

There is a charge for ISBN numbers, no charge for CIP numbers, and
a charge for barcodes.

I paid Bowker Books for a set of ISBN numbers so that my titles would
appear in 'Books in Print' but have not bothered paying for a barcode
because I don't expect my books to appear on supermarket shelves.

Amazon.com, Barnes & Noble, and many other distributors have purchased
titles I've published, for re-sale to their customers and they have
never told me that they won't buy my titles because they lack a barcode.

When I remember, I send a pre-publication sheet off to LC for a CIP
number, but I don't consider that very important.

I certainly would not lose any sleep over not doing any of that paper
work for an edition of 50 copies (or 200 copies) of a title.

More than that, and it would probably be worthwhile to do a CIP, if
you remember....

Jack

Thompson Conservation Lab.
7549 N. Fenwick