Re: [BKARTS] The Raven Press--Some Information

Hi!

Here is something that might be of interest regarding Raven Press. The
source is Rodrick Cave's THE PRIVATE PRESS, Watson-Guptill Publications,
N.Y., 1971.

Quoting Cave, page196:

         ...But the first period of Gregynog's (the press) work was coming
to an end...and in 1930 Maynard and Bray also left (Gregynog), setting up
their own Raven Press at Harrow Weald. This press was intended to carry on
where Bray and Maynard had left off at Gregynog, but it was set up at the
wrong time to have any chance of success. Though its work was good, like
the Golden Hours Press the enterprise had to close after four books had
been printed.

You can find more on the Raven Press in Cooper, Jeff, The Raven Press (an
addendum). THE PRIVATE LIBRARY. Second Series, V. 7, No. 3, Winter, 1974,
pp. 170-171, illus. With a footnote by James A Dearden (p. 170).

My collection of Private Libraries does not start until 1979, so no further
information is available here. A large library will probably have this journal.

Richard K.