Re: [BKARTS] ISBN, CIP & bar code

At 10:39 PM 10/8/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>For those who don't know, ISBN means 'International Standard Book
>Number' CIP means 'Cataloging in Progress' (a Library of Congress
>numbering system, distinct from the Dewey Catalog number) and

Sorry if this is nitpicky, but CIP (Cataloging in Publication) is not a number.
It's preliminary cataloging based on information supplied by the publisher.
It includes the bibliographic description, and hopefully at least one
subject heading.

It also includes both a Dewey Decimal (used by public libraries) classification
number and a Library of Congress (used by academic libraries) classification
number. There is also something called an LCCN (Library of Congress Control
number) in the record. It's the one that begins with a 2 digit year number,
followed
by usually 5 numbers. I have an example here: 99-38322 . It's supposed to be
unique, but they are often re-used after a number of years (I don't know
how many)

All numbers are provided by LC to the publisher.

By the time the work is actually published, the CIP is frequently
inaccurate and
therefore useless. Libraries cataloguing special collections e.g. small
presses,
artists books, etc. are going to do their own original cataloguing. CIP,
ISBN, and
the rest of it are really for trade publications. I'm kind of surprised
they would even
be a concern for anyone involved in hand-made books.

Hope this isn't too pedantic, but it's what I do all day, so hope it
provides some
useful information.

Susan Fatemi, Cataloguer
Earthquake Engineering Library
National Information Service for Earthquake Engineering
University of California, Berkeley
1301 South 46th Street, RFS #453
Richmond, CA 94804-4698

Ph: (510) 231-9552