Re: [BKARTS] ISBN, CIP & bar code

My company goes through about 2,000 ISBN numbers a year, and
many of our publishers have their own blocks of codes they use
for their own projects. For each book that enters our
job-stream that we will handle fullfillment of as well as
printing, we issue it an ISBN that follows it throughout the
shop from imagesetting to final shipment.

The purpose of an ISBN is to make ordering and fullfillment
easier as each ISBN block is unique to a certain publisher
or printer/fullfillment company, this way a computer at the
bookseller can automaticly sort all of a days orders for a
single fullfillment center into a single order and e-mail it
to the center it is destined for once a day. These programs
are usually triggered to order by the daily closing of the cash
register.

Secondly, by capturing the ISBN at the time of sale, a bookseller
can more efficiently manage their inventory, and decise what
books to stock larger or smaller quantities of.

We also will get LOC CIP information for each book we publish
to make life easier for librarians.

FYI: We considder 250 copies of a book as short a run as we
will do, most of the books we print are 2,500 copies or more
with the longest run we have ever done being 125,000.

MayKitten
--- Ben Wiens <ben@BENWIENS.COM> wrote:
> [...]
> The question is: What value is the ISBN for the average person.
> For example.
> Say I see a book in the library and like it. I want to buy my own
> copy. So I
> jot down it's ISBN number, but will this number help me to
> purchase the
> book? I know that technical books keep getting constantly
> revised. I tell
> the person in the bookstore that I want the latest revision of
> that book.
> The bookstore won't look up the book based on it's ISBN number.
> They will
> ask me for the title and the author because I don't know the
> latest ISBN
> number.
>
> WHAT USE IS THE ISBN FOR EVERYONE?
> What is the reason for getting an ISBN number? According to:
>
> http://www.isbn.org/standards/home/isbn/us/isbnqa.asp
>
> "The purpose of the ISBN is to establish and identify one title
> or edition
> of a title from one specific publisher and is unique to that
> edition,
> allowing for more efficient marketing of products by booksellers,
> libraries,
> universities, wholesalers and distributors."
>
> In light of the above problems with new revisions, I don't see
> any use for
> the ISBN. The average person shouldn't be using the ISBN and I
> don't see
> that the ISBN is useful for booksellers either. They too want to
> know the
> latest revision of a book and they can better find that latest
> book from the
> title, author information. For database purposes the specific
> revision
> number and publisher identifies the book in a much better and
> useful way.
> After all what useful information can anyone glean directly from
> a set of
> numbers.
>
> So the question is? Do libraries and booksellers use the ISBN as
> the
> database unique product code? That might be helpful in not having
> to make up
> their own. But realistically do they make up their own or would
> that be so
> hard to do? If they need a number, I am sure that the barcode
> number is much
> more useful as that is what they use to establish the price and
> is a better
> unique number.
>
> What is the real reason for getting an ISBN number in practice?
> So the book
> can appear in "Books in Print".
>
> Ben Wiens...applied energy scientist
> Ben Wiens Energy Science Inc.
> 8-1200 Brunette Ave. Coquitlam BC V3K1G3 Canada
> E-mail: ben@benwiens.com
> Energy Website: http://www.benwiens.com
> Read my popular web-booklet "The Future of Fuel Cells"

=====
Pagan, Pagan, what are you finding?

>From the book, Charge of the Goddess
BY: Doreen Valiente