Re: [BKARTS] ISBN, CIP & bar code

>By the time the work is actually published, the CIP is frequently
>inaccurate and
>therefore useless.

I'm curious about this statement: What would cause CIP to become
inaccurate? I shelve my books by LOC, generally using the CIP to
determine the cataloging information. I'd hate to think that large
parts of my collection are mis-shelved (actually large parts of my
collection are in storage, but that's another story).

And even my small library (<2000 volumes) has a handful of volumes
(mostly small press and unpublished materials) which are catalogued
outside of LOC. I wouldn't even consider trying to look up an LOC
number for a small press book.

-dh