Re: [BKARTS] Encapsulation/Ballot question

In a message dated 10/10/02 6:49:02 PM, JTHANDBOOK@AOL.COM writes:

<< Jane Brown and I both drew attention to the fact that the static hold
generated by an encapsulation can accelerate fracturing and breakage in an
already damaged artifact. >>

This thread has certainly gone into a lot of detail and extra concern.
I have not seen the type of fracturing and breakage that you state. Do you
have any illustrations? For demonstration purposes, I have encapsulated very
brittle paper (less than one fold) and have crumpled it to the size of a
baseball. Upon removal, the paper was still intact -- yes, a little wrinkled
with a tear here or there, but nonetheless, still intact. Upon further
mishandling, without the capsule, the paper falls to pieces. I think that the
simplest and most effective way of dealing with fragile/brittle paper is
encapsulation. I would certainly like to see any examples (photos) of items
that have been encapsulated that have experienced the problems you mention.

I should also add that since encapsulation has only been in use for about 30
years, I definitely feel there is a need to keep an eye on this type of
treatment. As many of you know, there have been some accelerated aging tests,
and there are many personal theories. I am interested in seeing and hearing
about any problems that you have experienced. Please let me hear from you --
maybe off-line would be better?

Bill Minter
Email:  wmntr@aol.com
4364 Woodbury Pike