Re: [BKARTS] Rotten ink

I have had much luck with using cloves as a preservative with
plant-based dyes.  I dye wood with a solution made from alder cones
(also known as yashi , in the Japanese dyeing tradition).  When I have
added a few cloves (perhaps a teaspoon per liter) to the bath as it is
simmering to extract the alder dye, it has certainly lasted longer at
room temperature in the dark than without.
Incidentally, cloves have also been used to produce a grey-brown dye for
textiles in some traditions.
I'm sure it's the clove oil though that's doing the preserving, which
you could pick up at a pharmacy or maybe candy-making supply house.

Douglas Sanders