[BKARTS] Los Angeles Book Arts Center

Greetings:

Just a little note to inform everyone that we will be having a general
meeting for all members and those interested in learning more about the Los
Angeles Book Arts Center.  The meeting will be on Sunday, November 3 at 2 PM
and will be held at New Roads School in Santa Monica. New Roads is located at
3131 Olympic Blvd. just a little west of Bundy. We will be discussing the
progress of the center so far and what we would like to accomplish.  We hope
that everyone will be able to attend and contribute to making this a center
that will truly serve the book arts community.

Also we still have space in a number of classes: the Coptic Binding Class on
10/20 will be a chance for beginners and experienced binders alike to explore
and create two exposed spine books.  We are also offering the Methods of
Attachment Class on 10/26 taught by Beth Thielen which promised to offer many
exciting book art techniques and the Decorated Page taught by Marcia Moore on
11/10 will explore a number of page decorations, including paste papers.
Please see our website at www.LABookArts.com for complete descriptions of
classes and feel free to contact me to sign up.

Our Inaugural Book Arts show has been very well received and the Los Angeles
Times article has brought in many new faces which we were thrilled to see.
Thanks to those of you who so generously gave of your time to make sure that
the show was always open to the public.  We still need a couple more people
to baby sit the show on the following days: Saturday, October 19, Saturday,
October 26, Tuesday, October 29, Wednesday, October 30 and Friday, November.
The hours of the show are noon to 5 PM and if you can sit for part of or the
whole period in a day that would be wonderful.  You can bring some work, I
have been making books when I sit and people find it fascinating.  Please
contact Marcia Moore (310) 827-6192 or myself if you can help us by donating
some time to the gallery.

And finally we are interested in starting a data base of all local book and
paper artists.  We would appreciate if everyone interested in contributing
their resume and slides would become a member which would help a little to
defray the costs of the collection and storage of these materials.  Please
contact Susann Wilbur (818) 783-0557 for further information on submitting
your packets.

Thank you all for your generosity and support.

Lisa Deutsch
President
Los Angeles Book Arts Center
8642 Gregory Way