[BKARTS] Clasps and closures

Dear Jocyelyn,
Congratulations! As I imagine you have come to realize, you have hit upon one
of the vastly understudied aspects of bookbinding history. Get a copy of FINE
AND HISTORIC BOOKBINDINGS FROM THE FOLGER SHAKESPEARE LIBRARY. Frank Mowery,
with his always intelligence and good sense, has managed to include and
comment upon a wide range of closures, most unusual for an illustrated
catalog. You might consider contacting him directly at the Folger; I can't
think of a better beginning, off hand. There is also the Middleton Collection
at Rochester, but you will need to visit.
Best,
James

James Tapley
Hand Bookbinder