Re: [BKARTS] a buggy problem

John,
I hope this helps....

>From http://www.colostate.edu/Depts/IPM/natparks/silverfi.html

"Silverfish found in books and documents can be killed by exposure to microwave radiation. Olkowski et al. (1991) recommend placing books in a microwave oven for a period of 30 to 60 seconds to kill silverfish. Caution should be used with books or documents containing color plates or in fragile condition.

Boric acid should be spread thinly in areas where silverfish are active. Dusts and powder formulations should be applied only in cracks, crevices, attics, and other storage areas where park visitors will not regularly come into contact with the pesticide (Olkowski et al. 1991). Consult your regional Integrated Pest Management coordinator to determine which chemicals and application techniques are best suited for your area."

Dave

At 08:50 PM 21/10/02 -0500, you wrote:
>I have been storing hundreds of books in cardboard boxes up in my attic, because I ran out of space downstairs. I recently discovered little silverfish bugs in some of the boxes..... arrggh. They are not downstairs, that I know of.  Does anyone know of a good way to rid myself of these pests before they become a big problem? Thanks, John Deason, Prairie Rose Press, Muscatine, Iowa

David Allen
840 Snowdrop Avenue
Victoria, British Columbia
CANADA  V8Z 2N4