[BKARTS] Workshop - The Embellished Simplified Binding, Denver, CO.

The Embellished Simplified Binding:
Construction and decoration of a non-adhesive unique book bound with a
segmented leather spine and painted wooden covers.
A three-day Intensive Workshop taught by Laura Wait:
Dates:   Jan 10. 11,12. 2003.    9:00-4:30
Location:  Bookworks, 3358 Pecos St. Denver, CO 80211
Class Size: 6-8.    Fee:  $225, plus $35 for materials.
For details contact Laura: laurawait@earthlink.net or 303-480-0172.

Day one in the art studio: Pastepapers, Chine Colle, and page preparation.
Our goal will be to create a book with integrated cover, endpapers, and "text".

We will begin with pastepaper  style painting for spontaneous and creative
inspiration.  I will share some of my techniques for paste paper decoration
including stencils and stamp making.  Chine colle will be demonstrated and
used for additional collaged imagery. Students may start from scratch or
may bring completed or partially finished artwork, printing, or writing, to
use in their book. This can be an old print, painting, or drawing that
didnšt quite work. There can be imagery on both sides.  Students may also
bring Xeroxed printing or imagery to include in book using Chine Colle.

Day two in the binding studio: Structure and bookbinding. We will sew our
books on a concertina made of Moriki paper to make a non-adhesive
structure. Laminated parchment and leather will be used for the sewing
supports. Leather paring skills will be learned. Boards will be made of
airplane plywood, a durable stable material.

Day three in both studios: Binding and completion of book. Binding
structure will be completed. Internal and external artwork will be
integrated. A class show and tell will be held at the end to discuss our
inspirations and pitfalls.

To register:  $100 deposit to hold spot in class.

Materials and tools:
Basic hand bookbinding tools and painting materials will be used in this
class. A detailed list will be sent upon registration.