Re: [BKARTS] Mull

In a message dated 10/31/02 11:20:53 AM, bagswereusel@EARTHLINK.NET writes:

<< Mull is a sort of stiff muslin fabric. It is open weave so adhesive can
be brushed through. It is used over the spine to reinforce and hold
everything in place before attaching the cover boards, which the mull
is also glued to.  >>

I may open a "Can of Worms" here:
For many years I have been using unbleached cotton muslin instead of
"Mull"/"Super"/"Crash". In my opinion, the standard "mull" is a very weak
material that is being used as a reinforcement of the tipped-on endsheets.
The material is (basically) a sized "cheesecloth". It is bleached. It has
about 25 threads per inch and is about 0.010" thick. Whereas, a cotton muslin
can be obtained unbleached, also 0.010" thick and has about 90 - 100 threads
per inch. Therefore, I feel I am obtaining 3-4 times the strength without
adding any bulk.
Unbleached cotton muslin can be found at regular fabric store. HOWEVER,
beware -- as I understand -- that most of these fabrics have been sized to
prevent wrinkling and could be detrimental to its longevity. Therefore, I
purchase the muslin from TESTFABRICS ( www.testfabrics.com or 570-603-0432).
They have many different weights of muslin, all of which have not been
treated.
Bill Minter

4364 Woodbury Pike
Woodbury, PA   16695