Re: [BKARTS] BOOK_ARTS-L Digest - 30 Oct 2002 to 31 Oct 2002 (#2002-298)

In a message dated 10/31/02 10:08:17 PM, LISTSERV@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU writes:

<< Nicholas Pickwoad's course at the Rare Book
School, 'European Bookbinding 1500 - 1800.'   >>

I think the Pickwoad course at Rare Book School is one of the best courses to
take to understand the nature of bookbinding structure, whether you are a
conservator or bookbinder. (Took Chris Clarkson's too, also fabulous fabulous
fabulous.) I took reams of notes, as fast as I could write them; took slides
of various closure styles; made a grand list of major atttributes of binding
structures for different countries at the end of the course, staying up until
2 am to pull it together. Looked at my notes again recently when I gave a
lecture in Utah on the changes in bookbinding structure from Gutenberg's to
Aldus Manutius's time. Highly recommended. Worth every penny.
Warmly,
Kitty Maryatt
Director of the Scripps College Press