Re: [BKARTS] People's Interests On Book Arts List

Ben -

One thing that contributes to the wide range of things going on under the
guise of "book arts" is that, as opposed to applied science, which I imagine
to have a fairly predictable education track, people come to the book from
any number of avenues - everything from a formal academic setting to the
neighborhood rubber stamp store. I can certainly understand why those who
have spent years perfecting their specialty opt for language that is more
exclusive than inclusive. I've also been blown away by pieces that displayed
no particular bookbinding, papermaking or printing skill.

(By the way, when did 'funky-foldy' become 'freaky-foldy'? Dang.)

In terms of offset vs. letterpress, some of the key works created in the
60's were printed offset and it continues to be strong. See:
http://www.nexuspress.org/pages/nexuspress/nexuspress.html
One element seems to be the artist's involvement in plate preparation and
printing (or collaboration with a master printer), regardless of the medium,
and as commercial print shops move towards digital output, more discarded
offset presses will be in the hands of artists. Letterpress is still
certainly taught much more in book arts centers now.

I'm not interested in the pull strength of fan binding adhesives at this
point, but it's great that if any of us need that information later, it's in
the archives - thanks.

with best wishes,
Roberta

Pendleton, Oregon