[BKARTS] Double-fan binding perfect bound books

Hi Waqar:

PERFECT BOUND BOOK
The definition of what a perfect bound book is a little vague and I couldn't
find a good one on the Internet. Here is how I define it: A book with a wrap
around paper cover, in which the pages are bound by reasonably flexible
adhesive, the cover is glued directly to the spine of the bound pages, and
the cover and book block are trimmed flush.

DOUBLE-FAN GLUING
Double-fan gluing is a method of glue binding pages of many different kinds
of books, so it is not in the same family of definitions as book
construction styles.

POLYURETHANE-LIKE PERFECT BOUND BOOK
Yes perfect bound books can be bound using double-fan gluing and I would say
you have been double fan gluing. Because the spine of the cover is stiff in
a perfect bound book, the books will not open very flat. If you are using
cold emulsion adhesive, your perfect bound book will feel similar to a
modern polyurethane bound book which allows you to bend the spine severely
and open the book fairly flat without damaging the book badly, but the spine
of the cover will soon be full of creases. Most high volume paperback novels
have been bound using polyurethane adhesive for about 10 years already. Just
check the spines of paperback novels in the library. They are completely
creased but still very much on one piece.

HARD COVER AND REPKOVER
Mostly double-fan gluing is used to produce Hard cover or RepKover style
books which open very flat. Both these styles of books do not glue the spine
of the cover to the book block.

DOUBLE FAN GLUING PERFECT BOUND BOOK
Marriage of double-fan gluing with cold emulsion adhesive to making perfect
bound books can be quite tricky. As such the perfect binding process wasn't
really developed for it. The cold emulsion adhesive swells the edges of the
pages more than hot melt glue. While I haven't spent lot's of time making
such a book, my recommendation is to first double fan glue the pages, clamp
the book block all the way to the bound edge, scrape off excess glue that
squeezes out immediately, let the binding glue dry for a few hours, then
independently glue the cover to the book block this time using a flat block
to press the cover onto the bound pages to prevent spine waviness.

Ben Wiens...applied energy scientist
Ben Wiens Energy Science Inc.
E-mail: ben@benwiens.com
Energy Website: http://www.benwiens.com
Read my popular web-booklet "The Future of Fuel Cells"