Re: [BKARTS] two questions (fan binding and altered books)

Ben,

I think the biggest part of the problem is information and willingness
to change.  Newer adhesives available today stay flexible and have
enabled such a binding to be far better and stronger than previously.
People still want to use an inappropriate adhesive, however, which is
not internally plasticised, not realizing that the spine won't stay
flexible.  Having the right equipment makes the task so easy, and that
is another hurdle.

I delayed for rather a long time before buying one of Jermann's fan-glue
presses, but have never been sorry.  I use it often to repair
contemporary books that have broken apart.  The technique allows the
book to lie open well, especially on a copier screen.  So far nothing
I've worked on has come back to me.  (This is not to say that I like the
adhesively bound book (I don't), but it is with us to stay.)  I think
that people in the trade who do have to bind or rebind books in single
sheets are either unaware or unwilling to spend on something they are
afraid won't work better than what they learned to do long ago.  Call it
inertia.

Another thought:  More than five years ago I made myself a journal of
scrap Superfine, very quickly, because I was leaving for several weeks
of vacation and needed the book immediately.  I used the fan-glue press
and a cloth case.  I wrote in the book every day, glued or filed
ephemera in it every day.  The book came back from 3-weeks in France
more than twice as thick as it was when new.  It held together very
well, still does, and has not failed anywhere—but doesn't look too
sophisticated.  In use it laid nearly as flat as hand-sewn journals
(still my preference).  You can't do this with a conventionally notched,
glued, and over-lined spine.

Carol
Eugene, OR