[BKARTS] WOID #VIII-29. Noted: Little Gundohinus Happy at Last!

One of the finest sets of Medieval book covers, the Lindau Gospels, is on view at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, in the Medieval Hall behind the Great Staircase. As you well know my dear Willibrod, Lindau was an Irish monastic foundation on the Lake of Constance in Southern Germany, along the route to Rome. The back cover has a heavy debt to Insular metalwork, the front to Saxon models with a dollop of Dionysos the Pseudo-Areopagite.

I don't recall when last I saw the Gospels whole. It belongs to the Morgan Library, which used to show one cover at a time until it started showing facsimiles. The book is on loan while the Morgan rebuilds. With luck we may get to see some of the fine Incipit pages as well.

Paul T Werner, New York
http://theorangepress.com

WOID: A journal of visual language