Re: [BKARTS] two questions (fan binding and altered books)

Waqar wrote:

>I have been reading about perfect binding and was wondering how it differs
>from double-fan binding?

        From a mechanized point of view, the perfect binding machine
has a milling station that puts small crosshatch marks on the spine
as the text block travels past.  Fan binding machines usually have
deeper notching to allow for further penetration of the adhesives.
Some of the notching systems will go as deep as 1/4 to 3/8 of an
inch.  The milling stations on a perfect binder usually cut no deeper
than one or two millimeters.

>  Aside from tilting the pages one way then the
>other to get a bit more glue penetration, is there any difference between
>double-fan and perfect (apart from the heated glue)?

        The adhesives tend to be different, even if both machines are
using PVA's.  The perfect binding adhesives tend to dry with more
rigidity - hot melt or cold emulsion.

>On a slightly tangential line during my experiments at home I'm having a
>tough time getting the covers folding at the right places and fitting the
>spine. Anybody care to share their techniques for getting a good fit
>between the cover and book block for paperbacks?

        Glue the text block first, let it dry completely.  You can
then form the paper cover around the text block.  Lay the text block
spine down on the paper, mark some how, then score the cover.  Fold
the paper over, test fit before applying any adhesive.  If everything
fits glue up and let dry.

- Duncan
--
"I hate quotations."