Re: [BKARTS] Cutoffs...and Industrial Design

I have taken secret pleasure in reading Ben's posts, as I continue to
reconcile my commercial publishing background with my love of the book as
object and artwork. I have stopped torturing myself with specific questions,
because I realize that the world of book arts is so diverse that trying to
figure it out just gets in the way of the ideas that inspire me. But it
really is exciting to see so many different approaches to making books, and
I have only recently considered industrial design as one of them.

Has anyone ever read the book _Cradle to Cradle_? It was written by an
architect and a chemist (sorry, I don't have their names handy) and
reconsiders the way objects are designed from the top down, so that instead
of making waste, we are only left with more materials for making products.
And get this -- the entire book is printed in plastic, which the authors
claim is not only waterproof, but could be easily converted into another
product with minimal energy. (Or something to that effect -- I didn't get to
finish reading the book before it was stolen, but I loved the vellum-like
tactile and printed quality of the pages, even though it felt more like a
brick than a book.)

I believe the book was published in the past year. I wonder if its theories,
or similar ones, have sparked any discussion in the book arts/publishing
community...?

Lani Labay