Re: [BKARTS] Double-fan binding perfect bound books

Greg,

I'm not sure I understand how length -- by which I think you mean surface
area -- is increased by notching when doing a double fan adhesive binding.
I understand how it increases the surface area for the adhesive when doing a
"perfect" binding (i.e. without the fanning).

But when fanning, the real surface area you are concerned with is that small
strip on the binding-edge of each page.  Notching will actually _decrease_
the surface area available for the adhesive to make contact with since that
small strip on the binding-edge is no longer all there due to the notches.

I am not arguing that this will weaken (or strengthen) the end product.
Obviously tests and personal experiences show that there is some increase in
strength when notching.  But maybe it is not due to additional surface area
(or length) as much as to having the adhesive equivalent of "strings" laid
into the spine.

Personally, I do not do any notching at all when using my Peter Jermann fan
gluing press.  I do occasionally rough up the spine with some sandpaper on
coated papers when the textblock is heavy or extremely slick.  Even if I
don't, I've rarely had problems with the pages not adhering together and not
being durable.  And this is in a library setting where some books receive
heavy use (and we will do spot checks on our in-house bindings to check
their quality).

Also, one note: We use a variation of Jermann's and Gary Frost's "spring
away" and "hollow back" paperback bindings, which allows the binding to lay
very flat and not have the stress of the cover's paper spine having to fold
along with the textblock opening.

Eric

on 11/7/02 4:22 PM, Greg at 71514.3705@COMPUSERVE.COM wrote:

> Very shallow notches of about 1/16 inch ( 2 mm) or less work very
> well. Especially when they are cut by a milling knife that clean,
> sharp and has many teeth. Our notching knives are cut in a
> trapezoidal shape. The many shallow notches effectively increase the
> (length) of the spine that is exposed to adhesive by X3 !!

 Eric Alstrom      Collections Conservator
 Dartmouth College      Hanover, NH
 603-646-1452      eric.c.alstrom@dartmouth.edu
 www.dartmouth.edu/~preserve/