Re: [BKARTS] Recent Fan and Perfect Bindings Discussions - Repair of Perfect Bindings ...

Rodney, while fan binding is appropriate for many library materials, for
those which you described (copied below), I would create gatherings
(signatures) using long-fiber tissue and wheat starch paste after removing
any former adhesive residue, then sew the gatherings through the folds.  I
realize this is more labor intensive, but if approached systematically, the
guarding doesn't take all that long.

I realize the books were originally adhesive bound and that current adhesives
are more chemically stable, but because of the books' age and probable
scarcity (I haven't done a search on the titles), I wouldn't re-adhesive bind
them or consider trimming them to any extent.

Again, this is not to dispute the improvements of adhesive binding and its
value in modern binding, just a thought to apply the technique selective when
rebinding/conserving bound materials.

Hope this is helpful.

Nancy H. Nitzberg
B O O K - C A R E