Re: [BKARTS] Recent Fan and Perfect Bindings Discussions - Repair of Perfect Bindings from 1830/80s?

Hi Ben,

Very interesting.  Were there true notches?  Often, hard bound glued blocks
are not notched in.

By apex I mean the centre of the spine, where the pages would normally
stand straight up in a formed spine.  Toward the sides, they tend to lie
flat against each other.  My surmise was based on the geometry of the
opening.  If the glue adheres evenly all over, the fan glue application
must be quite heavy.  I would then guess that the glue geometry must be
similar to what I was trying to achieve with the method outlined in my
previous note.  I would guess that the order of operations would be: jog
square, heavy fan glue without pressing, let glue go to heavy tack, form
spine and notches, let set.  One could perhaps get this effect better with
a high-solids glue.

I look forward to your researches in glues.

Gavin