[BKARTS] Fellowship in Printing History from APHA

I'm re-posting this from Exlibris.  The deadline is coming up for this
fellowship from the American Printing History Association.

I'd like add my own comments, as an individual who happens to be a member
of the APHA board. This is a new and interesting fellowship program. Unlike
many other fellowships, this one was designed to be open to non-scholars,
particularly to practitioners -- printers, binders, and anyone involved in
the bookish arts who wants to deepen their knowledge of printing history.
(The fellowship can't be used for tuition.) APHA is the only national
American organization I know in which librarians and scholars readily rub
shoulders with printers and other practitioners of the bookish arts.
Practitioners bring their hands-on knowledge. Compare most books on
printing types with the extraordinary 2-volume book by Daniel Berkeley
Updike, _Printing Types_. What a wonderful book! When APHA co-sponsored
Paul Needham's lecture on Gutenberg a few years ago, the audience included
APHA members like Theo Rehak (Dale Guild, Typophiles), Stan Nelson
(Smithsonian curator and APA member) and Steve Saxe (inimitable former
Editor-in-chief of our Newsletter, printer, and regular contributor here).
It was wonderful to see Needham being (respectfully) challenged by such
people. A number of us, including the anonymous donor for this fellowship,
hope to see more scholarly contributions from practitioners. (If you have
any questions about the fellowship, please contact Mark Samuels Lasner
directly at Biblio@aol.com)

Let me stress that I write above for myself. However, please feel free to
contact me directly as VP for Membership with any questions, comments,
concerns or criticisms about APHA. (romaine@pipeline.com) For what it's
worth, by the end of the year, our long-awaited special double issue of
Printing History on ATF, based on the collection at Columbia University,
will be published. It's supposed to be a stunner.

Best,
-Paul
Paul Romaine
[Copy of announcement follows]