[BKARTS] Purchase MFA Book Arts program

This is in response to Mr. Hutchins' letter regarding
Purchase.

I am currently in my second year of the MFA Book Arts
program at Purchase College. During my time here, I
have the pleasure of working with excellent faculty,
especially in Book Arts. They are knowledgeable,
creative, receptive to new ideas and offer good
critiques, be it technical or conceptual.

As a graduate student, I have access to any of the
printmaking and bookmaking facilities in school. There
are also extraordinary letterpress, offset and
bookbinding facilities that promote experimentation
and interdisciplinary interests.

In addition, what I enjoy about Purchase is that it is
close enough to the city, so that many well known
artists are able to come and participate in our
visiting artist program. The students benefit greatly
from this. And vice versa, students can easily get to
galleries, museums and everything that the city
offers.

I can unreservedly recommend Purchase to anyone who
might in interested in pursuing Book Arts. If you like
further information, feel free to contact me at
tingles04@yahoo.com.

Sincerely,
Iris Teo

> From: editions <editions@ARTISTBOOKS.COM>
> Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 19:39:49 -0500
> To: BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
> Subject: Re: [BKARTS] MFA in Book Arts from Purchase
College, SUNY

> As someone who has first-hand knowledge of Purchase
College and the
book
> arts program there, I would strongly urge anyone
considering this
option to
> select another alternative.  It is NOT a reliable,
or competent,
program.
> The book arts program when I was there (1996-97) was
for the most
part

> unstaffed, unfunded, undirected, unappreciated,
unimaginative,
uninspired,
> and as a result, unappealing.  After a frustrating
year working with
one of
> the worst persons I've ever met in the 54 years of
my life I moved on
> more rewarding ways to improving my education.
>
> There are many fine book arts programs across the
U.S. and the
program
at