[BKARTS] Winter-Spring Workshops at SFCB

The January-April 2003 catalogue of classes at the San Francisco Center for
the Book is now available, and we've begun taking registrations. Please
visit our web site (http://www.sfcb.org/index.php3) to see a full schedule
of our 88 workshops, as well as 20 free events and exhibitions.

You can register by calling 415-565-0545, or by printing and faxing
the registration form found on our web site to 415-565-0556. We welcome
inquiries via phone, fax or email at info@sfcb.org.

The new year brings an expanded basic bookbinding curriculum;
workshops with such visiting instructors as Claire Van Vliet, Peter
Verheyen and Gail Rieke; a continuing focus onartist's books; special
offerings for kids, families and K-12 teachers; plus 26 new classes
in printing, binding and related arts.

We're also pleased to be the first U.S. venue for INSIDE COVER, an exuberant
and witty exhibition of international artists' books. The show's 20
bookworks -- by Dutch, English, Scottish, German-born and American-born
artists -- are impressive for their sheer variety of artistic intentions and
diverse techniques. In addition to being the Center's first international
show, INSIDE COVER is also our first thoroughly hands-on exhibition.
Acknowledging that there are few greater pleasures than the look and feel of
a book in the hand, we're inviting visitors to handle many of the exhibits,
making a different book "touchable" every week.

introductory craft bookbinding curriculum -- Bookbinding I and Bookbinding
II -- that places greater emphasis both on a set of basic skills and on
familiarity with a few basic structures. Totaling 30 hours of instruction,
the courses are available as weeknight or weekend sessions, to best
accommodate student needs. Other new binding classes include The
Concertina-Codex Combo, Beyond the Generic Clamshell, The Romanesque Book
and Bringing the Book of Hours up to the Minute, among others.

As part of our focus on artist's books, we're honored to have Claire Van
Vliet visiting from Vermont to teach two workshops on Woven and Interlocking
Quilt Pages and to deliver an illustrated talk. Kathy Walkup, director of
the book arts program at Mills College, is teaching two workshops, Close
Readings: Unlocking Artists' Books and Telling Stories, Building Content.
Julie Chen takes time out from her busy schedule at Flying Fish Press to
teach The Book of Fun & Games, Part II. And Gail Rieke returns from Santa Fe
with a three-day workshop, Design from the Heart, packed with expert design
tips.

Our efforts to encourage children's literacy through book arts continues
with an Open House especially for K-12 teachers; a new series of short,
after-school workshops for teachers, and a free Family Day of bookmaking
activities for kids and families.

Students of letterpress printing will find 15 sections of Letterpress I-IV;
several classes on photopolymer plates; such alternative printing techniques
as monotypes, monoprints and Gocco; and a new Miniature Letterpress Books
class. Intermediate printers may want to consider a new class on Digital
Type and Typography for Letterpress.