Re: [BKARTS] request for suggestions on book making books or journals

Sara,

In my experience, no "perfect bound" book is as durable as a sewn book.
Even Smythe sewing is more durable.  The best adhesive binding is the
"fanned" adhesive binding.  Commercial adhesive bindings (the most prevalent)
too often suffer from adhesive failure, where the adhesive is overcooked and
brittle or has cooled before application and will not adhere.
The ones not affected by adhesive failure, fail from paper failure, where the
paper fiber become detached from the rest of the sheet. In those cases, the
adhesive goes one way and the pages another.  To my way of thinking, adhesive
bindings should be limited to paperbacks, which are by their nature
ephemeral.

Ed