Re: [BKARTS] request for suggestions on book making books or journals/REPLY

Ben,

Your sarcasm is unnecessary and not becoming this forum. However, we all have
our own style.

I will try to deal with your problems by the number:

1. Of course, every adhesive binding is not "perfect binding". But, for the
most part, that term has become the name for adhesive bindings. Witness the
name band-aid. That is a trade-mark but that doeasn't stop everybody from
using it generically. Another example is aspirin. It too was once a trade
name.

2.  This is true.

3.  True.

4.  This is also true but the "cheap thin paper"  reduces the chance of paper
failure.

5. I have no problem with adhesive bindings in paperbacks. It is a good way
to keep prices down.

6. Having books that have been sewn, fall apart, doesn't prove the case for
adhesive binding.  A poor sewing job is just that! The hole size is
irrelevant. Even it were not; that would be a sign that the bookbinder was
careless. The thread was of poor quality, possibly rotted.  I suspect that
you are not, yourself, a bookbinder. I have never heard a bookbinder refer to
the tread as "string".

7. Pages tearing out by any method says nothing about the quality of the
binding. My answer to this would be the same if the result of the test had
been the opposite.

8. I dare say that no publisher would tell you that they had a high rate of
disintegration in their books. Tobacco companies will tell you that smoking
is good for you.

9. Again adhesive binding in paperbacks is desirable. I have produced many,
myself.  My concern is the use of adhesive binding in what is supposed to be
a permanent binding. You cannot deny that traditional, sewn bindings have a
longer and better track record than modern adhesive bindings.

I would not consider bookbinders to be adhesive haters. We would be in a bind
without them.  Sorry, I couldn't resist the pun.

If 98% of new books are adhesive bound, that would indicate that many
expensive and important books are as you would say, cheaply bound. I have
found this to indeed be the case. When an art book, carrying the publishers
price of $125.00 falls apart on its first opening, I think the percentage of
adhesive bound books should be lower. Bookbinders by their nature have the
philosophy that a book should last as long as possible. Disposable books are
counter to bookbinder our temperament. We view paperbacks as a necessary evil
something to be tolerated but not liked.

Since we are advertising websites, mine is <A HREF="http://www.bookrestoration.net">http://www.bookrestoration.net</A>

In parting I must say that much scientific thought has been proven false by
experience.

Regards,

Edward Stansell, Master Bookbinder