Re: [BKARTS] Cutters

Hi, Betty
You are very right to stress the importance of paper grain in book printing
and binding. However, each time you cut a sheet in half as you describe it, it
changes from long to short grain and back. Thus, the 5.5x8.5" sheets will be
long grain (the grain runs the length of the sheet), which is what you want
for bookbinding.
Best wishes
Rupert

http://www.philobiblon.com"              <BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU> =====
>Waqar,
>
>Are the resulting 5.5x8.5 sheets to become pages in books? If so, are you
>paying attention to the important question of paper grain? In standard
>letter size paper, 8.5x11, the grain is in the long direction unless you
>have ordered it specially cut "short" grain. If I understand you correctly,
>you are turning a sheet of paper, folding it in half and cutting or tearing
>it into two pieces. Doing that puts the grain direction crosswise to what
>will be the spine of the book. This causes many problems in the finished
>book, not the least being the pages will not turn easily.
>
>One way to procure short-grain letter size paper, without special-ordering
>it, is to buy half as much 11x17 paper, also grain-long,  and have it cut in
>half at Kinko's or another print shop. (great idea, Ann) You will then have
>the amount of short-grain 8.5x11 sheets you need. These may now be halved
>again to provide 5.5x8.5 short-grain pages.
>
>This whole question of grain can be very confusing. If I've succeeding in
>mixing you up, please reply offlist and I'll try to clarify.
>
>Betty

Rupert N. Evans
May 1-October 31: 101 W Windsor Rd. #4107, Urbana, IL 61802-6697;
217-337-7833
November 1-April 30: 501-391 S LaPosada Circle, Green Valley, AZ 85614; 520-648-8365
Author of Book-On-Demand Publishing
I love to print and bind books