[BKARTS] Paper grain in commercial printing

When I was a pressman (nearly 5 years), we were very careful to use long
grained papers, and FRESHLY OPENED STOCK.  Normally, we broke open whole
reams, using boxes of paper at a time.  Short grained papers caused a lot of
jamming in collation units.  Paper was never left to sit for long.  If it
was, there were often problems.  Then again, the equipment we were using
wasn't the highest end Heidelberg.  Most smaller commercial presses are
quite variable in their controls and need constant supervision and tweaking.
Short grained papers would curl too much in response to the moisture levels
in such presses.  Nowadays there are many more digital controls and such,
but plenty of presses are still using the old standbys. If you need to do
automatic collation, short grained papers were definitely problematic.  The
skill of the printer may be paramount, but they are only able to do the job
as well as the equipment will allow for.  With smaller units, this is even
more of a factor.

A similar thing occurs in computer printers.  You may be able to get away
with short grained papers in this instance, but make sure the stock is
freshly opened so it's reasonably dry, and finish the job quickly.