Re: [BKARTS] request for suggestions on book making books or journals-Adhesive binding

I WAS ANGRY AT EDWARD STANSELL
Some people might think that my recent sarcastic and angry remarks aimed at
Edward Stansell were not justified on this forum. Shouldn't we all be
allowed to have our opinions about bookbinding and state them freely on this
forum but in a friendly way? Edward Stansell just may have a different
opinion than I do. How can anyone prove who is right or wrong and who cares?

ACTIVELY "PROSELYTIZING"
Imagine that instead of exchanging messages on the Internet we were
attending a conference about public and private schools. Several speakers
mentioned that there were totally practical ways of improving the public
school system and suggested ways of doing this. They pointed out that this
was important because after all a vast majority of children went to public
schools. Then a prominent speaker got up and told the audience not to really
listen to the last speakers. Public schools would never be as good as
private schools and that no effort should be spent making public schools
better. In my opinion that prominent speaker would be doing the public a
disservice. This would not be just personal opinion. That prominent speaker
is actively "proselytizing" people to think their way when that thinking is
not in the public good. Yes I would actively speak out against that person
and rake them over the coals!

HOW DOES SARA FIT IN?
Sara asked for information on bookbinding. I suggested that she include
references to how to make adhesive bindings too. Edward shot back with
comments alluding to adhesive bindings not being very good quality: "To my
way of thinking, adhesive bindings should be limited to paperbacks, which
are by their nature ephemeral" (ending in a short time). Reading in-between
the lines, Edward was suggesting that Sara not really pay any attention to
my own suggestion that she include references on adhesive binding for people
making their own hopefully somewhat durable books. This was because adhesive
binding was not really very good quality and resulted in bindings falling
apart in no time at all.

WORKING TOWARDS BETTER POPULAR BINDINGS
I am not against sewn bindings. While I think the action of a high quality
adhesive binding is by it's very nature better than a sewn binding, I know
that it doesn't take as much knowledge of bookbinding details and materials
to make a good sewn binding. Also sewn bindings can last for a considerable
length of time and the lifespan of adhesives (beyond 100 years) can't be
totally proven at this point . But I don't think we as a society are going
back to all sewn bindings. The majority of books in the future are more than
likely going to be made by adhesive binding. Cheaply made adhesive bound
books are a real dilemma in our society. They don't last and we will be
losing a lot of good information to the junk heap. If Edward had his way,
these majority of books should stay with their cheap non durable bindings
that fall apart in no time. That is where I am most willing to fight against
the thinking of Edward Stansell. Adhesive binding can be of a quality which
in many ways is on par with a sewn binding. If most books are going to be
adhesive bound and it is possible that they be better bound, then why not
also work in this direction?

Ben Wiens...applied energy scientist
Ben Wiens Energy Science Inc.
E-mail: ben@benwiens.com
Energy Website: http://www.benwiens.com
Read my popular web-booklet "Energy Science Made Simple"